Tuesday, March 20, 2012

White Teeth by Zadie Smith Ch 5-8

These chapters are different from 1-4 in that we have very little input from the women. Even though the first few chapters did tell Archie’s story, we received a good amount of the point of view of the female characters.

Samad seems as unhappy in his marriage as Alsana. The affair can slightly be excused by the fact that Samad is stuck in an arranged marriage, but, at the same time, it still has a stigma. Samad seems to fall apart once he makes that step towards sin and corruption. Samad compares his situation to Archie’s situation with the Russian doctor, although I am not convinced that Archie actually killed the good doctor. If that comparison stands true, then Archie has overcome and moved on from his slip from purity, while Samad cannot get over his decision to fall from grace. Because he is unable to deal with his own guilt, Samad attempts to overcome by setting his son(s) on the right path. As a twin, I am appalled at the idea of splitting up the brothers. As a parent, I am torn. On the one hand I would be grateful to be able to give even one of my children the opportunity at a better life. On the other hand, I would be riddled with guilt for the lesser life I am leaving for my other child.

No comments:

Post a Comment